Asphalt Shingles Edmonton
There is no dispute that asphalt shingles are among the most popular roofing choices in Edmonton and the Americas in general. Asphalt shingles Edmontonare very affordable and with the right installation and proper maintenance, they last reasonably long. You can also get them in wide variety of colours.
In Edmonton, asphalt shingles are widely used in single homes, sloped roofs and also in smaller other residential projects. Their installation is very easy and they can installed in various ways, meaning they are flexible roofing option. These days, shingles are available in various thicknesses, textures and can also be treated against destructive elements such as mold and mildew.
The various types in the market:
Asphalt shingles can be broadly categorized in to fiberglass and organic. The organic shingles are mostly paper with asphalt coating, and this makes them waterproof hence the reason why they are used for roofing. The advantage of fireproof shingles is that they offer better resistance to fire.
On the other hand, the organic shingles are treated with resin coating which makes them waterproof and resistant to various other elements. New technology and developments have led to the development of architectural shingles, where special sealant is used to bond two layers of the shingles, and this increases their beauty and appeal to the eyes.
What about the cost?
Generally speaking, the cost of asphalt shingles Edmonton is not high. As stated earlier, the installation depends on how they can easily be installed. However, the exact cost varies depending on the type of shingle used. Cedar shingles are a bit costly as compared to the tile shingles.
The pros and cons:
Any roofing material has its pros and cons. You need to know of them so you can make wise choice of what to install, and determine if it suits your budget, and is worth the cost.
Asphalt shingles offer the following benefits –
- They are easy to install.
- They have good lifespan of up to 30 years.
- There are various colors to choose from.
- It is possible to recycle and use as paving by-product.
- When exposed to sudden changes of weather, they can decay.
- They are not the ideal choice of roofing material in very cold weather conditions.
- The manner in which they are installed makes them incapable of resisting strong winds, which can lift them from their points of installation, and that may lead to roof leaks or total damage of the roofing structure.
- When the attic is not properly ventilated, this may reduce the life of the shingle.
- Routine maintenance is required in order to maintain them in good condition and prolong their lifespan.
- As they are a petroleum product, they are not a totally environment friendly product.
Tips on installation:
The following tips should guide all roofing experts on how to install them properly –
- Starter shingles: the starter course should be properly installed. This is important as it ensures the shingles do not get ripped apart by strong winds.
- Using right nails: nails are used to secure the shingles in their place. The nails must be installed at the right spacing, right angle and location. The correct nails should also be used in terms of the material and length. Ensure the necessary amount of force us applied during the installation of shingles to ensure you do not break them or install them loosely such they cannot resist wind and other adverse weather elements.
- Ridges, hips and valleys should be proper: one of the leading causes of roof leaks is improper ridges, hips and valley. Ensure the shingles are installed by an expert roofing contractor.
- Ventilation of the attic. The shingles must be installed to ensure full compliance with building codes and specifications on attic ventilation.