How to maintain your commercial roof in Edmonton
One of the most crucial parts of your commercial roof in Edmonton is the roof. Regular inspection and cleaning should be carried out. This should be carried out at least more than once a year.
There should be more regular inspections carried out after a stormy weather or snowfall because they are more prone to damage during that period. The following are ways of maintaining your commercial roof in Edmonton.
Roof Safety Tips
If you have plans to maintain your commercial roof in Edmonton yourself, you begin by working from top to bottom. You can get a firm ladder and ask a friend for assistance or at least keep someone informed about your intention to carry out maintenance.
The next step is to keep your hands and eyes protected using gloves and goggles. It is advisable to limit walking on the surface of the roof as they are prone to damage. Also, keep an eye out for electric lines and keep off the roof during a rainfall to reduce the probability of getting electrocuted.
Things to look out for On Top of Your Roof
The following are some things to look out for when trying to maintain your commercial roof in Edmonton. They include;
- A massive accumulation of snow which can be cleared of using a rake so as to free surplus pressure on the roof.
- Check for debris like sticks and leaves and clear them with a broom
- Fungus, Algae, and moss as they have a way of eating into your roof if left unattended. They can be scrubbed off with a brush with long handles. They can be controlled by adding copper, zinc or lead control strips.
- Cut down branches that are hanging above the roof as they might fall and cause damage to your roof. They can also be utilized by animals in gaining access to your roof.
The Roof itself
Maintenance of the roof itself can be done by looking out for the following;
- Curled, broken, cracked, missing or blistered shingles which may require replacement or repair
- Inspect the roof for infestation or rot in the wood of the roof
- Check the flashing around the chimney or vents. Look out for holes, bends, loose or dry caulk
- Inspect the roof for signs of rust in any of the metal parts.
Check for fallen leaves and dirt. You can utilize a gutter scoop alongside a hose to clean the roof of the gutters as well as the downspouts. If you notice a huge amount of shingle granules in your gutter, it may be a sign that your roof may soon require replacement and it’s recommended to call on a professional to help check out your roof.
Under the Roof
Look underneath the roof from your attic as this will help to inform you if there are any signs of danger like dark patches, streaks, leakage, dampness, wood rot, mold among others. It is best to correct these issues as quickly as you can as leaking roof might result in more serious damages in future.
The tips listed above are some of the best ways to maintain your commercial roofing in Edmonton so that you can enjoy them for years to come.