The cost of hiring a roofer is something every homeowner wants to know. This is obvious because we all operate on a budget. Well, the exact cost depends on many factors, but generally a repair costs significantly less than replacing the roof. However, note that frequent needs of repairs may in the ultimate be costly than a one off replacement cost.
The factors that determine the cost of roofing:
Generally, the cost of hiring roofer Edmonton is determined by the following factors –
- Size of the roof needed to cover: this is usually calculated per roofing squares. One square is equivalent to 100 square feet. It goes without saying that it will cost you more to roof a larger area than a smaller one.
- The number of stories. A house with more stories will cost more to roof. This is because of the higher height, and the roofers have to use special equipment and harness special skills to roof at higher structures.
- The type of material to be used for roofing. The most common roofing material is shingles, and there are various types of shingles with varying price range. Other materials used in roofing include metal and clay and they are a bit costlier than shingles.
- Whether existing roof needs replacement or removal, or a repair can suffice. The roofer will conduct an inspection and advice on whether you need to replace or repair the roof.
- The complexity of the job. Complex designed roofing needs special expertise in replacement or repair and may cost a bit more.
Should you replace or repair the roof?
Many people freak when you talk of replacing the roof as it is believed that the process is expensive and time consuming. This is very true, but you need to know that you should replace the roof in only clear cases. Sagging gutters, damaged flashing or soffits, minor ceiling leaks, and missing or loose shingles cam be solved by repairing the roof and not necessarily replacing it. However, the said issues, if not solved in time, can worsen and may be such that only replacing the roof is the solution.
It is thus important to note that it will cost you less to solve issues in the roof immediately or soonest they are identified. If not addressed on time, you will have to deal with costly repairs or roof replacement in the future. Note that the only solution for a roof that is leaking extensively or uncontrollably is a costly replacement.
The breakdown of costs:
The overall roofer Edmonton includes the following:
- Equipment and supplies:
The cost of hiring the roofer includes the equipment and supplies. The materials commonly used for roofing include wood shakes, slat, clay tiles and asphalt shingles. In terms of cost, asphalt shingles are the most affordable. They are available in wide range of colours and their lifespan ranges between 15 and 20 years.
- Building permits:
Most local authority laws require a building permit must be obtained before repairs can be undertaken. The roofer will include this cost in its roofing service quotation.
- The labour:
Roofing requires capital and human intensive labour. The extent to which either or both of these are used, determines the cost of roofing. Thus, when you hire a roofer, the expert will remove the roofing if the only probable solution is replacement. Minor repairs may also be undertaken to restore the roofing structure to good condition. After replacement or in repairs, there will be installation of some new roofing materials and this includes the installation of ridge vent, flashing, shingles, asphalt paper, and ice dam protection.
- The cost of cleaning up:
The roofer Edmonton will haul away old roofing and any other debris. Sometimes, this job may be very tedious as it may involve use of cranes and other lifting equipment.