How to maintain your roofing shingles in Edmonton
The maintenance of a good roof is literally the number one on the list of important home repairs: It covers you and the entire family warm and dry, including everything in the house. Any impairment or signs of tear call for urgent action to avoid water from oozing under the shingles as well as rotting the wood sheathing under.
Disregarding an issue—even what seems to be a little one—may increase the need to re-roof as well as an increase in hundreds of dollars to the new roof expense. The following are some ways to maintain your roofing shingles in Edmonton.
- Make sure you inspect your roof every few months– most especially after a high wind or rain storm. In case you discover any roofing shingles in Edmonton is missing, replace them immediately. Visually check the valleys, dormers, as well as flashing for symptoms of leaks.
- Ensure there’s no presence of debris on the roof. A gathering of leaves, particularly on the flat roof or a low-slope, which can trap and keep water that may work its way via the roof deck into the home. Clear off the leaves with the use of a leaf blower
- Endeavor to clear your eavestroughs to make water run down to the ground so as to prevent stack up of water along your roof line where it is possible to get below the shingles or freeze and become an ice dam
- Look out for ceramic grains in your eavestrough. It’s normal for the shingles to break off some of their granules with time and in weather. Moreover, if you discover a lot of granules, check through your shingles for any bald spots where much granules may have worn off, exposing the asphalt and vulnerable. Immediately replace any of such shingles.
- Should you live in a high humid area or maritime climate with a light colored roof, it is possible to observe some black streaks. These are usually caused by a growth of algae.
Although they are not good looking, your roof shingles performance won’t be affected. You can avoid all of these by choosing an algae-resistant asphalt shingle right from the beginning. Search for this specification when choosing the shingles for your home or enquire from your roofing contractor
The above tips are certain to aid homeowners in maintaining their roofing shingles in Edmonton, so they can enjoy them for years to come.